Ingredients needed for your beer can chicken A.K.A beer butt chicken –
- Brown sugar (1/3 cup)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoons)
- Chili powder (2 tablespoons)
- Camp Chef PG24 Pellet Smoker
- Paprika(2 tablespoons)
- Dry mustard (2teaspoons)
- Black pepper ( ¼ teaspoon )
- Can beer (1/2)
- Whole chicken (at least 3 pounds)
Note – use brown sugar, dry mustard, black pepper, salt, chili powder and paprika to make the chicken rub.
1. When you feel you are ready to start cooking, start your Traeger on the smoke and don’t forget to keep the lid of the smoker open until you see fire establishing, it can take about 4 to 5minutes.
2. The right temperature for cooking is about 425 degrees F, once you reach 425 f preheat the smoker with its lid closed for about 12 – 15 minutes.
3. Take your chicken in your hand; remove the giblets and the neck.
4. Take a paper towel to pat dry the chicken.
5. Once you get done with drying the chicken put a coating of chicken rub, not too thick not too light. Don’t forget to put the coating inside the cavity.
6. It’s time you empty half of your beer can.
7. Use both of your hands to hold the chicken legs once you get comfortable with holding them slide your chicken onto the half empty beer can.
8. Be careful while you put your beer can and chicken on your grill.
9. You have two options you can either cook your beer can chicken till the temperature reaches 165 F or you can cook it for about 60 minutes, depends on what you are comfortable with.
What is the use of the beer? Simple it pops up the flavor of your chicken. When you grill the chicken go for vertical grilling ,yes you heard me right I have a reason behind it and the reason is very simple when you opt for vertical grilling or roasting you cook the meat uniformly , skin turns crispy , meat turns moist and tender and don’t forget to keep the temperature as medium – high , while grilling temperature matters a lot . a lot of people question the use of beer, there is nothing to worry about its beer, beer is said to be good what it does to your chicken is something good for the chicken and for your taste buds , malt and yeast found in your lovely beer reacts with your amazing chicken basically with the skin it not only makes the skin thin but also crispy, more to the fact the meat , it remains juicy .
To be honest the beer butt chicken tastes better than the ordinary chicken grilled yes I m being honest who doesn’t love the flavor beer gives to your chicken it makes your chicken taste better I can bet you would want more and more of the beer can chicken because it’s delicious.
If you want me to describe beer can chicken in four words then I can simply by saying juicy chicken crispy skin what else does a food lover ask for? Some amazingly delicious meat with lots of juice, moisture, thin skin and crispy bites. That’s all is it too much to ask for? No sweetie, it’s not that’s why beer can chicken exist. Enjoy!
Heres’s another video by Munchies on how you can make a delicious beer butt chicken.